A lot has happened since our midyear digital health funding report was released in June. In fact, the amount of venture dollars pouring into digital heath startups this year just surpassed total funding in 2011.
That’s 90 startups receiving more than $2 million in venture funding (we counted a total of 89 deals in 2011).
Recent deals fueling this surge include:
- TelCare, a wireless blood glucose meter, with $25.5M from Sequoia
- Care.com, an online marketplace for families to find caregivers, with $50M from Institutional Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, NEA and Trinity Ventures
- PracticeFusion, the free EMR, with $25M from Artis Ventures, Founders Fund, Morgenthaler Ventures, and Felicis Ventures
- Lumosity, online brain training tools, with $31.5M from Discovery Communications, FirstMark Capital, Harrison Metal, Menlo Ventures and Norwest Venture Partners
There have also been promising seed rounds, including:
- Jay Parkinson’s Sherpaa — providing around the clock email and phone access to doctors
- Mango Health — an adherence gaming platform founded by mobile / gaming experts
- Breakthrough — the “online shrink”
With so much funding through Q3, we look forward to closing out 2012 with even more great news for the digital health ecosystem.