Rock Health Inc. is a venture fund and advisory services business dedicated to digital health. We support both sides of the enterprise market for digital health—funding digital health entrepreneurs and advising large healthcare corporations, with the ultimate goal of catalyzing the scalable adoption of groundbreaking technologies in healthcare.
Positioned at the forefront of the industry, Rock Health’s research has been quoted in over 500 articles in the past two years in publications including The New York Times, The Economist, Fortune, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and Bloomberg. Our portfolio of over 50 active portfolio companies, 30+ corporate partners, network of investors, and journalists all rely on Rock Health for a distinct, data-driven point of view that “connects the dots” across an otherwise complex and highly-specialized landscape. Our mandate is impact, and our industry-leading research is the tip of the spear.
About the role
The Research Associate will support our research function focusing on emerging trends in digital health, the broader healthcare industry, and investment in digital health innovation. In this role, you will primarily focus on delivering value to Rock Health’s Advisory Services corporate partners and consulting clients by supporting their digital health strategies through novel insights and data sets. You will report to the Research Manager to help execute the research strategy, develop market reports, and maintain proprietary funding and consumer adoption data sets.
This will be a full-time position based in San Francisco, with flexibility in the short-term for remote work.
You’re humble and care deeply about making healthcare massively better. You analyze your breakfast cereal and occasionally use R or Excel macros to manage your to-do list. “Problems” are simply things you haven’t yet reframed as opportunities or otherwise scratched off your brutally well-prioritized list of things you believe will change the world. You view data as something to be shaped into information that serves as the foundation of a solid story that can influence others. Novel data visualizations float through your head before you fall asleep at night, you have a fond appreciation for direct, compelling prose, and are comfortable writing short- and long-form.
- Contribute to research initiatives, including interviewing subject matter experts, generating and analyzing relevant data sets, conducting literature searches, and synthesizing all sources of information into client recommendations and deliverables. Research initiatives will include:
- Analyzing an annual survey with 8,000+ respondents to produce a white paper
- Conducting quarterly analyses of the healthcare venture capital landscape, contributing to quarterly blog posts and reports on the state of digital health funding and exits
- Deep dive research on emerging technologies and health equity
- Build competitive landscape reports, identifying differentiators across startups and offering a look at the trajectory of specific digital health technologies and segments
- Maintain and update all of Rock Health’s proprietary data sets including: venture funding, M&A activity, Digital Health Public Index, and consumer adoption data
- Build processes and tools that allow the team to conduct regular data analysis and visual representations for reports, blog posts, and journalist requests
- Work alongside Rock Health research fellows, training fellows on Rock Health research methods, datasets, and processes, and ensuring fellows have a phenomenal experience
- Serve as a thought partner to the Research Manager, keeping your finger constantly on the pulse of new innovation, companies, and partnerships in digital health
- Develop presentation and communication skills, with the goal of working towards presenting latest research to clients
- Academic or professional experience conducting research (preferably policy or market research) involving primary and secondary content sources
- Ability to synthesize information of varying types and from multiple sources into strategic insights
- Advanced quantitative analytic skills:
- Experience structuring, maintaining, and mining large data sets to surface compelling takeaways
- Advanced Excel and Google Sheets use
- Major plus: Experience with survey design and statistical/analytics software programs such as Tableau, SQL, Python, R, SAS and/or Stata
- Proven track record designing presentation materials and data visualization at a client-facing caliber
- Close attention to detail
- Experience communicating effectively in oral, written, graphical, and data-forward formats
- Strong intellectual curiosity; motivated to doggedly pursue the “right answer”
- Eager to grow your knowledge of the US healthcare system, technology-driven innovation, digital health startups, and venture capital
- Love working on a collaborative team
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Stellar academic record
- 1-2 years work experience in healthcare-related field (e.g., market research, consulting, finance) or terminal degree in a relevant field