Rock Health is a venture fund and advisory services business dedicated to digital health. We support both sides of the enterprise market for digital health—funding digital health entrepreneurs and advising large healthcare corporations, with the ultimate goal of catalyzing the scalable adoption of groundbreaking technologies in healthcare.
Positioned at the forefront of the industry, Rock Health’s research has been quoted in over 500 articles in the past two years in publications including The New York Times, The Economist, Fortune, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and Bloomberg. Our portfolio of over 50 active portfolio companies, 30+ corporate partners, investment team, network of investors, and journalists all rely on Rock Health for a distinct, data-driven point of view that “connects the dots” across an otherwise complex and highly-specialized landscape. Our mandate is impact, and our industry-leading research is the tip of the spear.
About the role
The Senior Manager or Manager will lead our research function focusing on emerging trends in digital health, the broader healthcare industry, and investment in digital health innovation. In this role, your primary focus will be on delivering value to Rock Health’s Advisory Services corporate partners and consulting clients by offering novel insights and data sets that support their digital health strategies. You will be accountable for Rock Health’s overall research strategy, lead the development of market reports, manage proprietary funding and consumer adoption data sets, and continually enhance Rock Health’s position as a thought leader in digital health. Through original primary market research, interviews with industry experts and entrepreneurs, and your own secondary research and deep insight, you will take Rock Health’s existing research to the next level.
Rock Health research will set the agenda for the national dialogue on innovation in healthcare and guide investment activity in this high-impact domain. Your work will be widely cited by the press, industry leaders, and thought leaders in healthcare and technology businesses. You will serve as a voice of Rock Health, sharing insights with our corporate partners, portfolio companies, media outlets, on our podcast, and at industry conferences.
You’re humble and care deeply about making a difference—ideally by having a massive impact on the way healthcare is delivered. You know the “big picture” when you see it and can artfully convey it to others so they, too, feel like an expert. You analyze your breakfast cereal and occasionally use R or Excel macros to manage your to-do list. “Problems” are simply things you haven’t yet reframed as opportunities or otherwise scratched off your brutally well-prioritized list of things you believe will change the world. Novel data visualizations float through your head before you fall asleep at night. You have a fond appreciation for direct, compelling prose, and are comfortable writing short- and long-form. And, you view data as something to be shaped into information that serves as the foundation of a solid story that can influence others.
While many paths may have led you to this moment, it’s possible you’ve been working in a banking or consulting role (or perhaps at another company where you’ve done similar, market research-focused work).
- Work in partnership with Advisory Services leadership to craft an annual Research Strategy that advances our thought leadership, datasets, and value to our corporate partners and consulting clients
- Collaborate with Venture, Events, Partnerships, Consulting, and Marketing teams to identify research opportunities
- Continuously optimize content development to maximize impact while considering: client expectations, team capacity, how to leverage existing research for content marketing
- Surface opportunities to partner with academic institutions, think tanks, or other research institutions on projects
- Be a thought leader internally and externally, keeping your finger constantly on the pulse of new innovation, companies, and partnerships in digital health
- Represent Rock Health regularly at events
- Regularly showcase latest research to clients
- Oversee all research initiatives, yielding high-quality, high-impact content
- Author industry-leading reports, including our annual market insight and consumer adoption reports
- Manage research fellow program including hiring and management; ensure phenomenal contribution and experience of fellows
- Continuously improve the data quality and usability of our proprietary datasets; leverage statistical and data analytic tools to support analysis
- Lead calls with journalists; confidently discuss Rock Health’s take on the digital health landscape using our latest research findings as evidence
- Regularly assess opportunities to maximize the impact of content distribution/marketing and innovate on new channels and content formats
- Self-starter; demonstrated ability to manage projects and deadlines with minimal oversight
- Proven track record producing written deliverables at a client-facing caliber, with close attention to detail
- Strong experience communicating effectively with healthcare leaders, in both oral and written formats
- Strong intellectual curiosity; motivated to doggedly pursue the “right answer”
- Working knowledge of the US healthcare system, digital health startups, and the venture funding landscape
- Ability to synthesize information of varying types and from multiple sources into strategic insights
- Comfort with ambiguity, and experience creatively solving problems when faced with unstructured topics and questions
- Significant experience conducting long-term research involving primary and secondary content sources
- Advanced qualitative and quantitative analytic skills
- Advanced Excel and Google Sheets use and experience mining data to surface compelling takeaways
- Major plus: Experience with statistical/analytics software programs such as Tableau, SQL, Python, R, SAS and/or Stata
- Proven track record designing presentation materials and data visualization (preferably using Keynote)
- Experience with survey design is a huge plus
- Strong relationship management skills
- Loves working on a collaborative team
- 3+ years work experience in healthcare-related field (e.g., market research, consulting, finance) or terminal degree in a relevant field
- BA/BS required; advanced degrees strongly encouraged to apply