Last Minute Digital Health Holiday Gift Guide
Haven’t found that gift for the health nut in your life? There’s still time to find the perfect digital health holiday gift. Check out a few of our favorites, all available in stores OR for overnight shipping for last minute shoppers!
1. The Creative Destruction of Medicine: How the Digital Revolution Will Change Healthcare, by Eric Topol Considered by many to be the quintessential text on the digital health revolution, this book might be just the gift for the yet unconvinced by the promises of healthcare technology. From the Wall Street Journal: “‘The Creative Destruction of Medicine’—an allusion to economist Joseph Schumpeter’s description of ‘creative destruction’ as an engine of business innovation—is a venture capitalist’s delight, describing dozens of medical technologies that show great promise. The book also provides colorful anecdotes about Dr. Topol’s own sampling of these products, as both a doctor and stand-in patient…The book can be dense with data, but it offers enough explanatory detail to make such information accessible to experts and lay readers alike. Its most important contributions are in portraying how medical innovation will coalesce to change clinical practice and what the coming changes mean for today’s policy debates.” $16.76 on Amazon. Also available in local bookstores.
2. Withings WiFi Body Scale This super sleek scale automatically records your weight, BMI, lean and fat mass measurements and syncs wirelessly to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with a built in Wifi connection. Plus, it is ridiculously, ridiculously good-looking. Laptop Mag agrees: “The Withings Wi-Fi Body Scale is a beautifully designed smart scale for serious exercise enthusiasts.” $131.98 on Amazon and in Apple Retail Stores.
3. Nike FuelBand Arguably the sexiest wearable device out right now, the FuelBand accelerometer gamifies staying active. Wirelessly sync your Nike+ FuelBand to visualize your results or plug it directly into your computer’s USB port to sync. The app helps you visualize and track your progess. T3 says: “It’s a really good looking accessory that has out-of-the-box instant accessibility and some really addictive features that should get you moving.” Filmaker Casey Neistat agrees. $169.95 on Amazon or in Nike stores.
4. Wello Online Personal Training Gift Certificate Give the gift of personal training, anytime. anywhere with Wello. Online platform lets you learn about each trainer before booking and have complete visibility into their schedule — which makes it even better than real life personal training setups. Each trainer is carefully screened and trained before becoming a Wello-certified Trainer. Co-founder Leslie Silverglide: “Everybody loves a gift that makes them look good and feel good! With a Wello Gift Certificate, the recipient will be able to select the right trainer and workout for them! And you don’t have to worry about shipping – we will email you a printable card.” Available in denominations of $25, $100, or $500 on the Wello website.
5. Wii with the Wii Fit Plus Whether you are into yoga, strength training, or aerobics, the Wii Fit Plus lets you get fit and have fun all from the comforts of your own home. Additionally, the Wii Fit Plus has balance, BMI, and body control sensors that allow users to track their progress as they work toward their fitness goals. The Wii, $165, is available on Amazon along with the $89 Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board.