Data infrastructure, interoperability, and privacy, oh my!
As COVID-19 cases surge, data continues to be key—and contentious—in fighting the pandemic. Following last week’s directive for hospitals to bypass the CDC when reporting coronavirus stats, HHS unveiled a new Coronavirus Data Hub—but hospitals are scrambling to pivot. When it comes to contact tracing, over 50% of US families are willing to share their smartphone data. Despite assurances to preserve privacy, it appears Google can access location data on Android smartphones. No such promises were made by Uber, which has been sharing its rideshare data with public health officials since January.
For more on the changing trends in healthcare, join our conversation with Bessemer Venture Partners, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, and Fenwick & West on Thursday.
In partnership with Dr. Ivor Horn, we have launched a Diversity in Digital Health initiative to provide a baseline of racial and ethnic diversity among digital health startup leaders. If you’re a Manager or above at a US digital health startup, please take the survey!
Mental Health Tech Companies Face A Wide Gulf In Engagement
How people do–or don’t–engage STAT | (Tweet)
AI Enables The Post-COVID-19 Transition In Imaging
Artificial intelligence is a “must-have” Healthcare IT News | (Tweet)
- Insurance start-up focused on price transparency Sidecar Health landed $20M
- Activ Surgical closed $15M to bring AI-visualization to surgery
- Sprout launched an in-home, tech-enabled autism program with $10M
- Digital transportation marketplace Roundtrip nabbed $4M
- Angle Health grabbed $4M to bring insurance plans to start-ups
- LumimDx raised $2M in an oversubscribed seed round