The AI use cases investors are betting on most
Just over 10% of all digital health VC dollars have gone to AI/machine learning companies since 2011—(last week’s deals were no exception). But not all use cases are getting equal attention from AI entrepreneurs and investors. We dug into the numbers and found that drug discovery and population health management top the charts. See which areas of healthcare will be first to see sizable shifts from AI integration in this follow up blog from our recent whitepaper Demystifying AI and Machine Learning in Healthcare.
In other news, two big M&A deals rolled in last week. Cigna is buying Express Scripts for $52B (after debt) to merge "patients' medical and pharmacy histories" and analytics company Inovalon bought Ability Network for $1.2B to "lessen its reliance on insurers."
What Will Healthcare Look Like Once Smart Speakers Are Everywhere?
Harvard Business Review
Customizing The Sharing Of Health Data
Robert Califf on Medium
FDA Approval Of 23andMe Kit Is Latest Example Of Agency's Course Reversal
The Wall Street Journal
Rock Health in the News
- Portfolio company Wildflower Health closed $8M to advance its mission of growing healthy families
- On its quest to be the "preferred AI partner for pharma," Atomwise raised $45M
- Whoop, a fitness startup used by MLB, NFL, and NBA players, closed $25M
- Sleep tracking company Eight brought in $14M
- Mental health AI company Woebot landed $8M
- Blockchain startup burstIQ raised $5M