November 14, 2016
8 things you need to know about Trumpcare
Trump's surprise win last week shocked the world—healthcare industry included. We’ll do our best to guide you through his attempts to "make healthcare great again." Here’s what we know so far:
- Trump promised to repeal Obamacare on Day One. Here’s how he could do so—even without legislative help. Take it all with a grain of salt at this point—many surmise 'Trumpcare' might look pretty familiar, partly because of difficult realities. Here are three major proposals getting attention from conservatives.
- Trump tapped Dubya’s healthcare advisor Andrew Bremberg and healthcare lawyer Paula Stannard to lead his healthcare transition.
- Researchers estimate 18-22M could lose insurance. To quote Secretary Burwell, “I don’t think people want to go back to a place where 20 million Americans lose health insurance.”
- A record number of people (100K) signed up on the exchanges when news of Trump’s impending presidency broke. How are enrollees feeling? Vox's Sarah Kliff talked to them to find out.
- We have yet to learn who will head HHS, “which presides over the FDA, NIH, CDC, and CMS, among other agencies.” Here are the top contenders.
- What does this mean for science—and initiatives like Precision Medicine and Cancer Moonshot (which have mostly bipartisan support)? That’s still unclear—but a lame duck Congress might preserve them.
- Modern Healthcare’s Adam Rubenfire laid out how a Trump presidency could bode well for pharma and devicemakers.
- Trump's concern about regulatory red tape and general support of technology has the industry assuming we won't see increased regulations for digital health.
- Intuity Medical raised $40M to bring blood glucose monitoring system Pogo to US market
- Zipline raised $25M from Sequoia and A16Z for its medical drone deliveries
- Annum Health's super seed of $5M will help them treat the epidemic of heavy drinking
- PillDrill nabbed $3M for their software/hardware medication tracker
- Simple Contacts raised $2M to get your contacts refilled faster
Download the details of every digital health deal since 2011. Get our funding database.